9.19.2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

As a fan of both Jane Austen and zombies, this book was pretty much made for me. Here is one example of how amazing this book is. I'll give you the original scene from Pride and Prejudice, and then the same scene P&P&Z-style. The scene is at Rosings when Elizabeth and Lady Catherine meet and talk during dinner.


Pride and Prejudice
, pp. 157-158

"Do you play and sing, Miss Bennet?"

"A little."

"Oh then--some time or other we shall be happy to hear you. Our instrument is a capital one, probably superior to--you shall try it some day. Do your sisters play and sing?"

"One of them does."

"Why did you not all learn? You ought all to have learned. The Miss Webbs all play, and their father has not so good an income as yours. Do you draw?"

"No, not at all."

"What, none of you?"

"Not one."

"That is very strange. But I suppose you had no opportunity. Your mother should have taken you to town every spring for the benefit of the masters."

"My mother would have no objection, but my father hates London."

"Has your governess left you?"

"We never had any governess."

"No governess! How was that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without a governess! I never heard of such a thing. Your mother must have been quite a slave to your education."

Elizabeth could hardly help smiling as she assured her that had not been the case.


P&P&Z, pp. 126-127

"Mr. Collins tells me that you are schooled in the deadly arts, Miss Bennet."

"I am, though not to half the level of proficiency your Ladyship has attained."

"Oh! Then--some time or other I shall be happy to see you spar with one of my ninjas. Are your sisters likewise trained?"

"They are."

"I assume you were schooled in Japan?"

"No, your ladyship. In China."

"China? Are those monks still selling their clumsy kung fu to the English? I take it you mean Shaolin?"

"Yes, your ladyship; under Master Liu."

"Well, I suppose your had no opportunity. Had your father more means, he should have taken you to Kyoto."

"My mother would have no objection, but my father hates Japan."

"Have your ninjas left you?"

"We never had any ninjas."

"No ninjas! How was that possible? Five daughters brought up at home without any ninjas! I never heard of such a thing. You mother must have been quite a slave to your safety."

Elizabeth could hardly help smiling as she assured her that had not been the case.




No ninjas, indeed.

1 comment:

Cara & Clarence Jessop said...

haha awesome. Mr. Darcy Vampyre? Nooo. no. Just walk away.