2.26.2008

Buyer, beware.

One thing I really needed for London was a tote bag large enough to double as an overnight bag and that had a built-in laptop sleeve. Thus Cara, ever helpful sister that she is, bought me a wicked bag from Target for my birthday. It's the right size, but I ended up finding a bag closer to my needs on Target.com that is the exact same price as the bag she gave me. So I decided, as any good consumer would, to return Cara's bag and buy the other one online since it isn't available in the stores. Little did I know the offense I was committing in assuming Target would aid me in this goal.

Posterity, remember this: You cannot return an item to Target that is over $20 if you don't have a receipt. In a Target-ruled universe, this simply is not possible, as my not-so-helpful checker, Maria, informed me (with a smile.) I asked her what I was supposed to do with a bag I don't want. Her answer? "Use it." Um, I'm sorry, but am I not here returning an item that I don't plan on using in order to exchange it for one I will use? Does Target lose any money from me buying a bag of equal value? No--especially when you consider the exorbitant shipping costs. For now, I'll just have to be content with my non-returnable, almost-perfect-but-not-quite-there tote bag until I figure something else out.

Like how only one small coup will destroy the Target empire in one fell swoop. Any takers?

No comments: