2.25.2008

Happy Birthday to me

So being 21 isn't all that it's cracked up to be...given the religiosity that is my life, I experienced none of the "rites of passage" inherent in this number. No vodka for me, thanks, I'll just have water. Mineral, if you can help it. Gambling wouldn't have been that big of a deal, I suppose--if I'd even known where to go. Despite my apparent lack of desire to live up to the cultural values of binging and partying 'til the sun comes up, this birthday turned out pretty fantastic. I spent Saturday afternoon with my mom and sister buying clothes for London; apparently I need to wear layers? (Someone please confirm or deny this.) The Gap amply supplied said layers, and I happily wandered through the less-accessible Anthropologie afterward, thinking I would make my next destination somewhere that required me to shell out $145 for a cotton t-shirt. With applique, of course. Anyway, that night I was expecting the usual birthday dinner with the family, which happened, with a few additions: my Provo people. Janae, Cody, and Tanner surprised me at the restaurant. I loved that they were there and that Cara was nice enough to think that I would want to spend my birthday with them too. The night before I had been a little put out and confused why they hadn't wanted to do anything with me to celebrate. But I shouldn't have worried. The restaurant, Cucina Toscana in downtown SLC, was, in so many words, amazingly divine. It was authentic Italian, and we sampled everything on the menu, from gnocchi and handmade pasta to lemon chicken with artichokes and capers to fresh tiramisu. I can't wait to go back there...hopefully at a time when my dad foots the bill again. All in all, it was a good night and I'm glad to have spent it with the people who mean the most to me.

3 comments:

Janae said...

Cutest Raytch. It's fun that you started a blog. I don't want to start one only because I don't think I can commit to such a thing. I barely find time to write in my personal journal anymore. Not fun.

That restaurant was so, so good. I'm glad we went, and I was so excited to surprise you. Silly girl, of course I wanted to spend your birthday with you -- I even worked Friday so that I could!

Love youuu!

Ashley said...

Hurray that you found me, and that you have quite possibly the best-written blog I've seen of late. (Mine pales in comparison; I mostly have written a travelogue for the family.)

I will confirm the layers for London; when we were there last June, it was 45 degrees with freezing wind and rain. (This chilling revelation greeted us four days after 90 degrees plus the same in humidity in Rome.)

Oh, I'm so excited for you. Email me so we can talk in more depth. I want to hear your Londontown plans.

Read "What is the What" by Dave Eggers. Loving it.

Ashley said...

Let me edit this to wish you happy birthday as well.