4.12.2008

Absolute nirvana.



I've said it before, and I will say it again: You have not been to a show until you've heard My Chemical Romance live. Last night's concert was ridiculously amazing. People who say "I don't like rock shows" and blah blah blah, whine whine whine whine, have either never been to one or are just ignorant. For me, there is so much more to be gained than just listening to a night of great music. As we made the trek from Provo to Saltair, Cub and I decided that while mellow shows have their good qualities, they don't have the same spirit and energy as rock shows. For example, at Joshua Radin the feeling was very individual and one-on-one with the artist. But at the same time, that feeling didn't extend outward to fellow showgoers; everyone was looking at each other slantwise with an antagonistic "Don't touch me" vibe. Yet for a show like MCR, I'm always impressed by the shared feeling of having experienced something amazing, which isn't hard with MCR since everyone there is supporting a band that has changed his or her life for the better somehow. Everyone takes care of one another during the show, which is something most people wouldn't expect from the "hard, goth-looking kids" ["Teenagers" expresses this perfectly]. Like I said to Cara: It's not just a show, it's a life experience.

Melodramatic moments aside, I am extremely grateful that (the darling) Gerard and gang decided to make one last trip around the U.S. to play small venues and to say goodbye to their fans for awhile. Only one or two people know how much this band means to me. It's rare that every song from three albums can have personal meaning for me, but such is the case with MCR. They played songs I've never heard them play before, like "Desert Song" from the Life on the Murder Scene DVD, which made me more than a little teary-eyed. Not to mention "Headfirst for Halos" from the Bullets album. And then there's always "Thank You for the Venom," "Helena," and "Famous Last Words."

Overall, the show helped me to finally relax. I've been a little ball of stress and worry for the past 8 months. The second the opening act started--Billy Talent, another favorite--I felt all the stress and negative energy and tension drain out of me. I hadn't realized how much I'd been harboring until I realized how much better I felt afterward. So today I feel revitalized and happy and ready to finish my Shakespeare paper and get ready to leave for London.
Now tell me rock shows aren't worth going to...

1 comment:

Cody said...

im really glad this was such a special experience for you. i totally agree with you about the feeling of a rock show. there is nothing like it.