4.02.2008

Whew.

I hereby declare my 15-page research paper finished.
And I am welcoming applause, thank you.

But really, I am so ecstatic to be done. I've exhausted myself over this, taking four weeks to research, annotate, and write a rough draft. For those who are interested, I wrote on "Female Identity and the Subversion of the Male Gaze in Ethan Frome." In layman's terms, what does a book in which a female author who employs a male narrator say about the female characters' identity? Add to the mix that a third female character actually gives the most true telling of the story at the end and the male narrator disappears into the literary biosphere, and I figured I had a pretty good argument that the author undermines the male-biased narrator's vision in order to make obvious his exclusion of the women's story from his telling.

Like I said: whew.
Now on to the next...

2 comments:

Cody said...

yes yes. the literary biosphere. indeed. 15 pages? didnt you say it was a short essay? my gosh. well congrats on being finished.

*applause*

Ashley said...

Hurray on being finished.

Ah, Ethan Frome. I miss reading/writing smart essays like that. I couldn't bring myself to assign Grisham essays.