6.23.2008

Home sweet...home.

Long story short: I flew back from London last Thursday. :(
I'm missing it more than I thought I would. Even little things like wanting to walk along the Thames to the Tate Modern, or going to a random concert or play make me a little teary-eyed. I would even ride the Underground with all of its sauna-like qualities if it meant being in London again. The situation was not helped today by my watching DCFC's video of "I Will Possess Your Heart." It has many scenes of London and Paris that are very familiar to me. I miss walking down the pavement to Kensington Gardens and having to watch out for crazy cab drivers. I miss the rubbish. I miss seeing Roman ruins, a medieval church, and a modern sky rise within the same block. I miss the rain and the clouds in the morning, and the sun on Westminster Bridge in the evening. I miss my ward and the little kids from primary.

I think it's just going to take time to get acclimated back into SLC's rhythm. Because I really did throw myself headfirst into London and it's been a little bit of a culture shock to be home. But I'm sure that the jet-lag doesn't help with things. It's getting better though; yesterday was a peaceful, quiet day. I woke up at 8 and made Amish baked oatmeal with strawberries for everyone, and then snuggled Cara until it was time to get ready for church. After church we took Abby for a walk and then sat outside talking about our trip to Orlando coming up in two days. Today I've been working on getting my pictures organized. Thanks to Kristin's Snapfish know-how, my pictures are being put into an accessible format for the masses. I'll let you all know when and how to view them when they're ready. Au demain...

3 comments:

Janae said...

I wonder if someone coming here from England would miss anything about here... Not necessarily Utah, though I'm sure one could find some things if he looked hard.

I love that Death Cab song, I haven't seen the video. I'll have to watch it.

Weird that two months somewhere can affect someone so much. Maybe someday I'll know what it's like.

I'm excited for your snapfiiiishhh

Makayla Steiner said...

The quote from Gilead - what page is that on?

Anonymous said...

bebo. I miss London for you too, I know that you wish you could still be there.