6.05.2008

Un jour a Paris.

Yesterday was our day trip to Paris; it was another 4 am wake-up call, but considering where we were going, it wasn't that horrible. We arrived in Paris at the Gare du Nord around 8:50 am, and Kristin and I promptly headed to the Metro (Paris's equivalent to the Tube). Our first stop was Sacre Coeur, the basilica at the top of the hill in the neighborhood of Montmartre. It was so beautiful. And for Janae's benefit, I counted the stairs up to the top: 189. So not too bad of a climb, and the view from the top was worth it. We went down the other side of the hill, and I found the carousel from Amelie. :) The neighborhood was a little sketchy, albeit darling, so we found the Metro again and took it to the center of the city. We went to the Opera House, the Pompidou, the Louvre, Tuilieries Gardens, the Champs Elysees, Notre Dame, took a boat ride on the Seine down to the Eiffel Tower (where I had a delicious crepe), and then back up the river to Notre Dame to end our trip with the most amazing Haagen-Daz ice cream. It made Cold Stone taste like ice chips. For my souvenir I got a cute mug/bowl for soup/hot chocolate/cereal, etc. It's yellow and has little black and white pictures of Paris along the rim. And I took tons of pictures, of course. Here are a few:

The Gare du Nord where we arrived to Paris.

Amelie's neighborhood of Montmartre.

Le Basilisque du Sacre Coeur.

The carousel from Amelie. Very cute!

The famous Opera House and Place de l'Opera.

The main section of the Louvre. In its entirety, the museum is absolutely huge, and could probably house a small country.

Pompidou Centre--the design is really interesting, like an exploded tube and duct factory.
Notre Dame de Paris.

Mine and Kristin's new love...the Eiffel Tower was so cool, especially from the top.

View of the Seine from the Eiffel Tower.

Le piece de resistance: delicious concoction of vanilla and mocha truffle ice cream, toasted almonds (the girl toasted them in front of me), Chantilly cream, dark chocolate sauce, and two little cones. Um, yes.

I loved Paris; it's definitely a very different city from London, as in being edgier and more European. It was nice to come back to London though. Everything was so familiar and it hit me just how sad I'll be to leave. Hope everyone is doing well!

2 comments:

Cody said...

you're gonna have to make a wicked scrap book when you get back. you've got some awesome pictures! Im jealous you got to go to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower.

Anonymous said...

I love that you saw some of the places from Amelie! Awww. We definitely are watching that as part of our movie night celebration when you get back. I love you and miss you Rach! Paris looks beautiful and amazing. I'm so glad you got to go!