6.12.2008

Last blog in London, I think.

Things are getting really crazy around here now that the term is winding down and we're going to be going home next week, but I think I should write one more blog from London. Here's a quick rundown of this week:

Monday
I went to my last English class where we discussed Milton and Paradise Lost, some George Herbert, and a little bit of the unconquerable John Donne. I also started finishing some of my blogs for history because I wanted to get them done this week so next week would be free to enjoy my last few days in London.

Tuesday
I finished some more blogs, and then went to the Churchill Museum and War Cabinet Rooms with my history class. The rooms were pretty impressive since everything is basically the same way it was when World War II ended. It was an eye-opener to think of how hard everyone had to fight to keep the Germans from invading during the Blitz.

After the museum I wandered home through St. James's Park and did some more blog work. After dinner I went to Hairspray with a bunch of people; it was so amazing! The energy was fantastic and a lot of people were dancing by the end. It was everything West End show should be: an involved audience, good music and energy and talent, etc.

Wednesday
We made our last day trip out to Blenheim Palace and Oxford. Blenheim Palace was beautiful--what Stourhead had in gardens, Blenheim has in house. Movies like Harry Potter and Indiana Jones (think Nazi book-burning rally) have had scenes filmed there. I would definitely go back someday to explore the grounds some more.




Oxford was, in a word, fabulous. I definitely prefer it to Cambridge. I'll post some pictures to explain everything we saw.
The Radcliffe Camera.

The gate tower of Christ Church College, which we eventually went into.

The main quadrangle of Christ Church College.

The Great Hall of Christ Church College, as seen in Harry Potter.


A view of All Souls' College from the tower of the university church.

The famous Blackwell's bookstore has a room called the Norrington Room, in which 160,000 books are available on 3 miles of shelves. Buahahaaa...

One entrance into the Bodleian Library. I would love to be a student here just to be able to use this library.

My personal favorite: The Eagle and Child pub, where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien met with their literary group, The Inklings.

Other notable happenings in Oxford included drinking a delicious peach shake and wandering around cobbled, narrow streets, and buying a sweatshirt and two t-shirts. Yay for Oxford.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What the 3 miles of book shelves? How is that even possible? I can't believe you come home in a week! It's freaking me out kinda. I'm glad you're getting to do everything possible though in your last couple of days. Yay for Oxford, it looks so pretty! loves