6.13.2008

The winding up.

Okay so I lied. I have yet another blog to write before I leave London. I know, you're all so happy and are now flinging open your windows to shout hallelujahs to the wondering streets below. I can picture it now.

Today we went on a nine-mile country walk in Kent with Brother Chittock. He's a pretty awesome old guy, one of those spry types that never fails to warm my heart with the possibility of aging with dignity. He lived through the Blitz and spoke to us on Tuesday about what it was like. Feel free to peruse my history blog (it's the one marked "My History of Britain blog") to learn more about the Blitz. It's a charming chapter in British history, no doubt.

The walk took us through villages, poppy and wheat fields and a driving range. I wanted to pick up a golf ball for my dad, but was scared to do so after we all received the "It's Stealing" speech from Bro. Chittock's brother, Ron. So I refrained, with the help of one Kristin Lowe, to whom I now owe the salvation of my soul. Ever the friend, Kristin is. We ate lunch/took a nap amongst the ruins of a Norman castle and then walked some more to a farmer's market, the best I've been to so far. I bought Kentish Lavender ice cream, which tasted more appealing than it sounds, and also a bottle of local apple juice. I'm definitely digging the farmer's markets here and want to look into what Utah has to offer when I get home.

Speaking of home, yes, I will be returning, even if unwillingly. I am excited for a possible internship though. It will involve copy writing for a skincare company, and since health is a major interest of mine I feel this will be a great opportunity. Particularly since the last two interns were hired eventually. I've also been accosted by a professor of mine from last semester, the somewhat pedantic and always self-effacing (sarcasm alert) Lance Larsen, official Poet-in-Residence of BYU. He has personally invited me to take a graduate poetry workshop that he'll be conducting this fall. I feel a little overwhelmed and appreciative of him considering me for this since I'm only an undergraduate, but at the same time I can't help but doubt his sincerity. I wonder if he only wants to fill his class. This is the professor that awarded me the Academy of American Poets prize, which means he's only read one poem of mine, leading me to wonder if he has any idea of what he's getting himself into by this vote of confidence. But I am considering it. I'm only taking three classes this fall anyway, and I might as well explore this poetry thing further, if for nothing else than the experience and networking that Dr. Larsen has to offer. We'll see. I've taken his advice and have been reading as much of 20th century poetry as possible, as well as have been writing. Mostly ideas and outlines of poems rather than the things themselves, but it's a start.

Oh, such a drama-fraught life I lead. Haha...not really. I'm enjoying every day and am so happy with everything right now. Of course I have aspects of my life that I wish were different, mostly concerning the problems of other people that I'm sad they have to deal with, but for the most part, I wouldn't wish anything different of what I'm doing right now. I'm a little flustered and excited at the prospect of being graduated this time next year and starting the next stage of my life, i.e. career. Two girls on the program right now are graduated and this was a last little hurrah for them, and I can already see myself in their shoes in the not so distant future. And I can't wait.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Dear Rachel's soul,

You are so very welcome.

Sincerely,
Kristin

Anonymous said...

I want to live a dream-fraught life. I'm jealous. Eating lunch and napping among a Norman castle sounds pretty ideal, as well as walking among poppy and wheat fields. Did I tell you that about a month ago when I helped mom plant flowers in the front yard I bought two poppy plants? They are so cute! Unfortunately the 90+ degree heat isn't so good for them.
Sigh. I miss Rachel.