12.02.2008

Dang economy.

Today I went into work and was doing my thing, evaluating a manuscript for Lisa (internship mentor/associate editor) and talking to Suzanne (senior editor) about upcoming projects for the day, when Suzanne informed me that the week before Thanksgiving a ton of people had been laid off. I was kind of in shock because it was mostly people I knew. I'll particularly miss Jay, the other senior editor, as well as Fielding, the nice old man who said hi to me every morning. The publishing industry has taken quite a blow because of the economy--Conde Nast and Time Warner have both laid off about 500,000 people each within the last three months.

Amidst all this economic worry, Suzanne asked me if I wanted to help with a freelance job of hers--for $25 an hour! I said yes, of course. The chance to work with one of the top 5 editors in Utah (and there are more than you may think here) is an honor in itself, let alone to be paid to assist with a project outside of my internship. I've become really close to her in the past couple weeks, and I'll be really sad to leave. She's an Anglophile like me, so of course we hit it off right away.

So bad news and good news today; I'm exhausted out of my mind but I feel pretty accomplished.

3 comments:

Cody said...

yeah the economy is definitely a worrisome thing. Especially for folks that will be graduating and will be wanting to get jobs. You know? Its kinda depressing.

Congrats though on your new job. $25 an hour! nice!

Unknown said...

Oh wow, you rock my world... I am always seriously so impressed with how amazing you are, and your abilities, and talents. I think you're awesome!

Congrats!

Cara & Clarence Jessop said...

aww fielding, how darling. can you just stop being the master editor of the universe! The rest of us are feeling inadequate.