8.12.2008

Need more friends with wings.

So the title of this blog has nothing to do with anything really, except that I was listening to Billy Talent and that was the first line of the song. Anyway, what a freakingly exhausting day this here Tuesday has been. I'm more than a little sad that I'm not in Vancouver/Portland right now, but I'll just have to plan on taking a trip there soon. Instead, today's non-Portland day was brought to you by Rachel's Internship and Job Search 2008. The internship: publishing assistant at Deseret Book. The job: Bibliographer/Researcher at the HBLL.

After a night of fitful, restless sleep, I was jerked crashingly awake this morning by my unfamiliar, very un-summer sounding alarm clock at 7:30. After a shower and quick breakfast, Cara and I left the house for the Trax station. It only took us 20 minutes from the 6400 S. Trax to the Deseret Book corporate office, so we walked around Temple Square for a little bit. My appointment wasn't until 10, and I was really glad to have Cara there with me for support and to keep me from freaking out too much. I think I have some sort of delayed nervousness syndrome because I felt fine about the whole ordeal up until about 20 minutes before my appointment. Cara got on Trax to go read at the Gateway Barnes & Noble (she really is the best sister for going with me like she did), and I walked across the street from Temple Square into the lobby of DB's offices. I told the receptionist that I had an appointment, and then Jolene came down and took me to the office where I was to take my editing/proofreading test. The test wasn't too bad; I was happy I had reviewed my copyediting marks the night before or my life would have really been difficult. About an hour later I gave my test back to Jolene, who then took me to Lisa Mangum's office for the interview. When I met Lisa, I was so relieved. She was extremely nice and down to earth. I felt really comfortable with her and being at the offices. The interview went amazingly well, I thought, and afterwards I left the offices and met Cara at Gateway where we had delicious chicken yakisoba at Edo Japan and a treat from DQ. After lunch we caught Trax back to the car, and stage two of today's adventure began. We drove to Provo (which is seriously 10 degrees hotter than SLC) and I had enough time before my interview to turn in my scholarship contract and walk around campus for a little while. My interview for a Cataloging/Acquisitions--basically data entry--position at the library on campus was for 3, and Cara and I had the funniest time trying to find the office on the 6th floor of the HBLL. I didn't even know that the library had a 6th floor. Evidently, only a certain section of the building has the much-treasured additional floor. I don't know. My interview here also went really well; I guess when you get me around book people, only good things happen. I'm blessed like that. After the interview, Cub and I met up with Janny at her work and got to talk with her about how living together this year is going to rock and about Cara's hamster concerns. And thus ended our Tuesday adventure. We made it home safely and are now enjoying the coolness of an air-conditioned house.

I guess both the internship and the job have pros and cons. In all honesty I'm hoping for the internship because it's right up my alley of where I see my career going the next five years, but the job would be just as valuable in giving me more experience. The next couple of days will tell me more, so until then...

2 comments:

Janae said...

Cutest Raytch, coming to see me at work.

Yay for job and internship interviews and hot weather and new BFF roommates.

You cannot demand more blogs of me. I only have so much creativity. Plus, yours are so much better.

Rachel said...

(Cookie Monster voice): MORE BLOGS, JANNY!