8.07.2008

Success!

When I originally added editing as my minor, the only thought going through my naive little head was of me tramping through the swampy jungle of [someone else's] bad grammar and punctuation. Maybe even a little layout design on the side. What I didn't expect was the full-on slap in the face from my dear friend, reality. Come to find out, with only three classes to go before graduation, the editing market is oversaturated and companies can basically pick and choose from thousands of hopeful, half-starved editors. My initial search for an internship seemed only in vain since 3/4 of the companies required at least a year of experience--for an internship--and the rest were internships that only the insane and suicidal would consider. (Sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer for ten hours a day proofreading phone book ads. Think about it. And I like proofreading.) I emerged from my BYU Magazine internship foray with a slightly bruised ego and the beginnings of what I call Doubt as to whether editing was a good job for someone who knew what they wanted in a job. Okay, I calmed down after awhile, only to have my fears resurface this summer when I realized graduation was less than a year away and I had yet to gain the sort of experience an internship provides. My latest attempt to eke some life into my minor was sending a resume to Deseret Book for their fall publishing internship. I thought I had a pretty good chance until after almost three weeks I hadn't heard from anyone and figured I was once again looked over for those with more experience (experience! where does one gain this all-important "experience"?). But today I checked my email in what I thought would be another fruitless delving into the emptiness of my in-box when lo and behold, an email from one Andrea Barker informed me that I was wanted at the Deseret Book offices to take their in-house editing test and to have an interview. Yay! I'm still dealing with the fact that they want me to come in on the 12th, which will be Day 2 of due diligence recon in Portland and Vancouver with Kristin, Cub, and mom's company. I told Andrea that I'm not available those days, but would be back the 15th, so let's hope that that sits kosher with her. I sure hope so. My minor and I can't take anymore "experienced" people edging in on our racket.

2 comments:

Aric said...

Congrats! That is so awesome, and I am sure you will rock the test.

On a different note, I'm thinking one day while you guys are in PDX I should come downtown and we could go to the mall?

Thoughts?

Janae said...

I already called you about this, but I am really excited for you. You'll do amazing, and should the unlikely circumstance arise that they choose someone else--at least you can rest assured that there is a better plan for you.

What are you doing in Portland?