8.20.2008

News, news, news.

On Monday I found out that I got the publishing internship with Deseret Book. I'm really excited to have been chosen out of so many people, and I just want to get down there and start working. My internship begins next Tuesday, August 26, and runs until December 11. The schedule is perfect; I couldn't have planned it better myself. I work every Tuesday and Thursday, 9am-5pm. I haven't decided whether I'm going to take the express bus, a ride of 1 hour 42 minutes, or to drive Jetta to TRAX and then TRAX to the office downtown. I think cost-wise, which is what I care about more than time, the bus is the better choice, because driving Jetta would mean that in addition to paying for the gas to drive from Provo to 90th, I would have to pay for TRAX tickets, which are ridiculously expensive now if you're going to ride it as much as I would. I'm getting a student discount on my bus pass for going to school anyway, and I'm hoping it will apply to the express bus. I get a $1,000 stipend (half now, half at the end), which should help cover any weird costs I run into. In any case, wild horses couldn't keep me away from this internship.

The woman who offered me the library job I applied for at the same time as the internship was really nice about me declining--that's always a weird situation to be in, telling someone you've decided to work somewhere else. But she was great and gave me a few days to think about it and now I feel really good about my decision.

In other news, Cara and I are moving back to Provo next week, maybe on Wednesday, or most likely on Friday. I'm really looking forward to this year, since it's my last one and my classes are going to be awesome. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I belong in this major/minor, and how maybe this was a large reason why I was supposed to go to BYU. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I'd ever chosen to attend BYU; it's not that I wasn't against it, it just hadn't crossed my mind. My applications included more of the likes of Westminster, Brown, Dartmouth, Smith, and wonder of all wonders, BYU-Idaho (please, just, really don't ask). But six months after the application frenzy, my parents were dropping me off at U-Hall of Deseret Towers. So you never really know, I guess. None of the other schools I considered have an editing minor or focus. And that's what has kept me here at BYU, even though it took me three years to figure that out. This year is going to be awesome. I'm excited to live with Janae and have my own room again.

This summer has been somewhat hard for me. I've come to realize a lot of things about myself that I'd rather not know. Mainly, I had to learn the difference between hoping and expecting, and that it's never good to do much of the latter. I'm also having to deal with my sudden loss of independece--newsflash, Rachel can't stand to be alone. Go figure. I used to be extremely independent and liked doing my own thing, but I've come to the point where I hate even sleeping alone. Abandonment issues much? Haha... I feel bratty complaining, especially when, for the most part, I have everything I want. But I don't think it's right to have a constant feeling of discontent, and I guess I'm just voicing that.

In better news, I've started writing more on my book I started my freshman year. I get new ideas everyday and it's hard to keep them organized, so I've been writing them down and started to sort them better. We'll see how that turns out. Like Ashley has said, if "that Twilight woman can write a book," what's stopping me?

2 comments:

Janae said...

Again, congratulations on your internship. So are you ONLY working TTh? That'd be so nice. And the bus would be a long wait but it'd give you time to do reading/homework as well, so whatever works. I'm so glad you feel good about your decision.

BAHAHA you are living with MEEEE!!

I'm also glad you have realized the reason you chose BYU. I should probably think more about that. But heaven knows if I hadn't come to Utah, I wouldn't have met you or other amazing friends, or Tanner! :)

How come you're feeling this loss of independence? Is it because you were with Cara for an entire school year and now Cara has a boyfriend and stuff? You don't have to be alone, Raytch. Well, you'll be alone on the bus a lot. But come in my room and lay on my bed if you are lonely! :) That is rough, please let me know how I can help you and support you in whatever. I'm sure this job and stuff will keep you busy enough that you will feel more independence again.

I will be the first to buy your book!

Ashley said...

I think things tend to work out the way they are supposed to, so BYU was where you needed to be. And you are probably feeling anxious at the onset of all of this change, which is generally what I do EVERY school year. Hang in there and roll with it. Things have a way of working out. (I realize I'm being repetitive, but it's all my brain has left right now.)

Thanks for the shout out. (Shakes fist about 'that Twilight woman.') And if you're anywhere near the blue school in South Jordan, I'd really like to see you before you head for the blue school down south. (South?)