10.18.2008

"The play's the thing."

It's random quote from Hamlet day; a hearty slap on the back to whomever can finish the title of this blog--no peeking! And Ash, you can't play. People who teach the lit cannot play the lit games. ;)

I was cleaning out some old computer files today and found some great stuff. Old IM conversations with Jake, story ideas from high school...everything from my four-years-ago self who I hardly recognize. Since we seem to be doing quotes today, here are some goodies I found in my files for you to digest. I love the three "why's" in the first one. Heartbreaking.


I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky
But why, why, why can't it be mine?

Pearl Jam, "Black"

You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.

JD Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

And I love this one from the author of the French children's book, Le petit prince:

Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Antoine Saint-Exupery


So there you have it. I've got nothing else. My stomach hasn't been hurting, which is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it's nice to feel normal, and a curse because of what it might mean. Curse you, gluten gods!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

But I want to play.Oh well.

You know how I heart Pearl Jam AND Salinger (Hamlet is a given). That Eddie Vedder is quite the poet--any man who can work the word "indicative" into a song lyric has my attention. (P.S. Great in concert, too.)