6.21.2011

book review: black hawk down.

Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern WarBlack Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War by Mark Bowden

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Having not seen the movie, I went into this book with only a dim outline of what it was about.

I thought this book was extremely well written and researched. And the research only serves to reinforce the feeling of being mentally wrenched between emotions. When you first begin, it's easy to read this book as a story; it's when you take a step back and realize these events really happened--and that you can't stop thinking, "I can't believe this is happening"--that you start to take it more seriously.

Maybe I was a little biased in my reading since my brother wants to be a Marine officer, but it was still a little hard to read at times, especially the accounts of how some of the men die.

The reality of war is something I can take only in small doses, and this book was an effective tool for helping me realize just how much I take for granted.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Cara & Clarence Jessop said...

Love your book review. Not sure if I would be able to handle it, but I think it'd probably be a good book for us to read so we can appreciate what we have more.