8.13.2011

thrifted.

Lately I've been a thrift store junkie. Something about it satisfies all my cravings for unique, plentiful clothes at extremely low cost. My awesome and beautiful co-workers Natalie and Rachel first showed me the light in this respect and I'm taking their teachings and throwing myself into it with abandon.

This past weekend I found four skirts, one shirt, two pairs of shoes, a handbag, a plate and bowl for making a cake stand (I'll post pics when it's done), and seven books for $29.34. Yowza. It's pretty awesome. I like having one-of-a-kind pieces for my wardrobe that (a) I don't feel guilty only wearing a couple times before redonating, and (b) add much needed variety and a vintage feel to what I wear.

Here are some of my lewts:


Strawberry red flats, great with skinny jeans and circle skirts.


Red, tan and floral wedges. Great for straight-leg jeans, long peasant skirts (one of which I got and LOVE), and just like, general awesomeness.

And now for the most exciting part:


I may or may not have sounded a small "EEP" of excitement when I saw these just lounging unloved on the shelf. Lyke really?! There were many more, but my rule when thrifting is that I can only buy what I'm able to carry, no carts or baskets, and I happened to hit the book section last this time. Luckily.
From bottom to top, the titles are

-The Fourth Protocol, Frederick Forsyth (I'm dying to read his Fist of God right now, but this'll do until then)
-The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl
-The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction, Seventh series, Anthony Boucher
-Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
-The Best Science Fiction Stories and Novels, Ninth seies, ed. T.E. Dikty
-Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh
-The House of the Seven Gables, Nathaniel Hawthorne

I also got a copy of another novel that the cashier informed me was risque, as it were, but which I got solely for how the nicely yellowed pages would be perfect for this project I'm working on. Lady Chatterley's Lover? Never really heard of it. I know D.H Lawrence from some English classes, but that's about it. Anyway, I've already torn out the pages I want and discarded the rest so there's that. How could I not make something from old book pages, albeit supposedly naughty ones? Srsly.

So now I'm just at Cub's, taking care of her so Clarence could go to Lagoon with his amigos. I'm rewatching the BBC show Sherlock with her right now; we're on the second episode in the series. It's really entertaining and the actor who plays Sherlock is one of those interesting types of men that make you simultaneously want to maul him but also talk to him for hours because his mind is so fascinating.

Anyway, gots to go. Here's your random beauty shot of the day--Jake G. in a mid-century modern home. Two of my passions. ;)










1 comment:

JOSHATALIE said...

You got the cutest shoes....so jealous. Love di.