4.12.2011

the world is open to us.

Lately I've had the nature of discontent on my mind--where does it come from, why does it effect some people more than others, and how do we combat it (should it be combated)? Why do people who have seemingly awesome lives still want/need more? This train of thought led me to wondering if the issue is with our own brains. I remember being, alas, so young and thinking I could and would do anything with my life. But now in my bitter old age I'm wondering how someone could be so idealistic and naive.

But the thing is, the world doesn't get any less open, the possibilities any less endless as we grow older. I think what changes is inside of us. For whatever reason, we become closed off to the idea that we can make a difference and effect change in the world.

It seems I've been shackled down by the phrase "I want _____________, but I can't because ____________________." Really? I think that if I actually took the time to analyze the second half of the statement and find out where it comes from I would be more on my way to being a better person.

One of my favorite authors, A.J. Cronin, wrote an essay entitled, "The Turning Point of My Career." And something he said really stuck with me:
"The virtue of all achievement is victory over oneself."

This speaks to how the only thing stopping us from having what we want is ourselves, our way of thinking, etc. I also really like this story about Bruce Lee that Natalie had linked to her blog. It fit in with what I was already writing so I thought I'd share it too.

On the reverse side, I think a little discontent is good for you because it means you're striving for better things. It's all in what you're discontent-ing for, I guess. Anyway, just some thoughts I had running around; nothing very coherent here. But I have to write these things down or else I lie awake thinking about them all night. And my co-workers know I need my sleep...

UPDATE: I am in fact only 24 and have a million awesome things left to do with my life. So there's that.

1 comment:

Michelle and Justin Cavender said...

This resonates with me in the following ways:
-We all have had (I'm assuming) crazy dreams of doing things so magnanimous when we were young and naive.
-I think the world is what we make it!
-Baby steps to greater goals keep us focused and self-accomplished.

So, all in all, a little pondering of thoughts is a good push in the right direction towards happiness.